Negotiations cause our brain to automatically try to protect our world and our hot button. This causes you to shut down your listening and creative thinking. With Outcome Thinking® you learn a new way to unleash that energy proactively so you are more innovative, creative and a stronger partner.
- Make sure of a few things up front. What is and is not negotiable? DON’T give the person a choice if there is not really one.
- Do not piecemeal your negotiation.
- Look at the long term.
- Avoid Yes/No questions. Ask open ended questions such as “On a scale from one to ten…”
- Most people negotiate too far back when there is no initial buy in.
- Do biggest negotiation item first.
Remember negotiating isn’t about winning, it is about reaching an outcome that propels you forward! Use it as a time to build a relationship with the other person. Even the most stubborn negotiator likes to feel listened to and respected.