There are several things you can do to improve your comfort level when presenting:
- Speak to your audience as if you were talking over a cup of coffee. Remain professional but relaxed.
- Don’t try to impress. If what you say is relevant to the audience, they will want to listen to you.
- Take a deep breath and slowly exhale before you begin speaking.
- Take a moment before you speak to make eye contact with individuals in your audience. Look straight into their eyes; don’t sweep your eyes over their heads. You will find it helps your comfort level to feel your audience’s warm eyes upon you.
- Remember, your audience doesn’t expect perfection, but they do expect value. So make sure what you say is about them, not you.
For more on handling interruptions, difficult questions and more take a look at Anne’s book, Outcome Focus® Approach: How to be Become One with Your Audience. Go to the Store tab and click on Books.